A heating system underneath your flooring may just be one of the best investments you make in your home.
Underfloor heating can reduce your heating costs by as much as 35 per cent, but it’s important you get the most appropriate system for the area you want to heat.
You have to think about:
- Your home’s age;
- The size of the space where the heating system will be installed;
- The type of flooring in the space; and
- Your heating source.
The great news is that an underfloor heating system can be used with almost any type of flooring, although stone, ceramic tile and even wood are the types most popular for a heating system. It can even be used under carpeted flooring.
One of the best places for underfloor heating is a covered porch or sunroom that you would like to use year-round.
How it’s installed
Essentially, there are two ways in which underfloor heating is laid down: by installing an electric “map” grid or by hot water running through pipes from the ground up (hydronic). Mats are less costly to install, but depending upon electricity rates, could cost more to operate. A hydronic system may be more expensive initially but may be more cost-efficient in the long run. These are issues best discussed with your installation company.
Here is why you should seriously think about having underfloor heating installed:
- Warmth! Bathrooms are great areas for heated floors, especially after a shower or bath;
- Even distribution of heat in rooms where it’s installed;
- It’s invisible;
- Floors will be warm even if the room has a draft or the windows are open;
- It’s likely that it will heat a larger space than a radiator would. It could also reduce heating bills since it works at a lower temperature;
- It very well may increase your home’s value should you decide to sell it. It’s a wonderful selling feature that spells luxury!
Improved living quality
The air quality of your home can be enhanced by underfloor heating. This type of heating controls moisture, which can lead to mold, dust mites, bacteria and viruses. Many doctors are fans of underfloor heating particularly because it radically cuts down on allergens.
If you’re thinking of having a home built, the experts at Dunpar Homes will be able to answer all your questions regarding underfloor heating as well as any other questions you may have. Give them a call today.